Parenting a teenager is a tough job. As teens navigate their changing bodies, hormones, and intense emotions, they can become less communicative and emotionally unhealthy.
Parents may find that their previously mild-mannered child is now out of control, barring family members from their room, lashing out and fighting with loved ones, and blocking parental phone calls. They might worry that their teenager is suicidal or unable to regulate emotions properly.
As parents become more concerned for their teen’s safety they often become more assertive, which can exacerbate the communication breakdown with their child. This not only affects the parent-teenager relationship but also the entire family dynamic.
GET YOUR FAMILY BACK
Family issues are tricky to solve from the inside; it is typically more effective to bring in a neutral party who enables everyone to be heard, identifies underlying issues, and builds a bridge between parents and children.
I specialize in helping parents and teenagers build a healthier relationship. With teens, I guide them in managing a variety of mental health and behavioral issues, such as:
- Difficulty with regulating emotion
- Anxiety (including social anxiety)
- Panic attacks
- Feelings of overwhelm
- Lashing out
- Being “stuck in their head” all the time
- Wanting to control things or make everything perfect
- Difficulty creating balance in life
- Balancing social media exposure/influence
With parents, I focus on managing emotions to keep their family healthy, including reducing fear and feeling more at ease about their child’s safety. Together, we can help your family:
- Set clear boundaries/expectations
- Enforce necessary consequences
- Move away from unhealthy attachment styles
- Communicate more effectively
- Enhance feeling heard and respected
Help your family thrive. Schedule an appointment with me today.